As a school, we use SIMS Parent Lite to collect, manage and handle key information about your child by obtaining accurate data securely from parents.
For information about the Privacy of SIMS Parent please click here https://www.sims-parent.co.uk/#/privacy
Available on iOS, Android and via browser (www.sims-parent.co.uk) the SIMS Parent app provides a convenient and accessible solution for parents to electronically review and request changes to the data held on them and their children via smartphone, tablet, or PC anytime, anywhere, as well as see key term dates. You will be able to provide additional information on crucial details such as medical information or dietary requirements, using the text information function, ensuring that personal information not previously held in SIMS is collected. When a change request is submitted by you, automatic emails are sent to the school office. Administrators are able to view previous requests and details of any action taken via the audit trail within SIMS. From time to time, we will send notifications to remind you to update your child’s details, eliminating paper based data collection and manual errors.
- We will send an activation email to your home email address. Simply click on the link from your tablet, pc or smartphone to activate your account. You can then login using your normal Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft username and password.
- Please note that your activation email is unique to you and should not be used by anyone else. If you require an additional login then please contact the school office. Your activation email will expire after 90 days if it is not used, so please contact the school office if you require a replacement after this date.
Important Information about the menu options
Student Information – this contains basic information such as your child’s name, preferred name and date of birth.
Address – this is your child’s home address. You can add an additional address e.g. if your child lives with both parents
Telephones and Emails – this is your child’s home number. Please DO NOT add an email address for your child here.
Medical Details – this includes information such as medical practice, medical conditions and any disabilities. There is a drop down list of medical practices but you can add a new one if your child’s medical practice is different.
Cultural Information – Please complete proficiency in English, as this helps us plan additional support and provision for these pupils. This is not for the school census. We do not need any other details in this section.
Dietary Needs – please update your child’s dietary needs here. For allergies and gluten free needs, these should be supported by a letter from a medical professional.
Parental Consent – Please read our Privacy Notice on the Dartmoor Multi Academy Trust website.
The Department for Education places statutory duties on schools to process data and provide education to pupils. Where schools are fulfilling this obligation, consent is not required where the lawful basis for processing is statutory duty or public task. A number of activities in schools fall under these bases. For example, sharing school census data with the local authority, Another example might be where a picture is taken of a group of pupils working during a lesson and the image has been put up on a notice board in the school as part of a school project, this is considered a legitimate educational purpose and is unlikely to cause prejudice to any of the individuals in the picture so consent is not required. Similarly, where a teacher uses video to record pupils in a PE lesson, to be played back to the pupils to discuss their performances, this falls under legitimate educational purpose and is unlikely to cause prejudice to any of the pupils in the video so consent is not required.
We do require your consent for the following items. These will appear in the ‘Parental Consent’ section of the app and may be updated from time to time. We will tell you when we update these consents.
- Emergency Medical Treatment: We would always aim to contact the parent in the first instance, however in the event of a serious injury or accident or asthma attack, this permission allows us to contact the emergency services or obtain emergency medical treatment e.g. from the health centre.
- Local Off-Site Visit: From time to time, teachers may decide to visit a local building or area. Where a visit requires alternative footwear or a drink, we would normally advise you of this through the School Gateway, however, for short-duration, local visits, this consent acts as your permission for your child to participate in the activity.
- Photos in media (press): From time to time, it’s great to showcase the achievements of our pupils. This could be on the school blog, or local press, which may be print media or internet media. Our general principles of sharing photographs are never to publish a pupil’s last name. If a contact person is needed for a project, this will be the teacher, not the pupil. If class pictures are posted, it may mention names but not where individuals are standing in the picture. Class pictures will generally include at least three or more students. If individual pictures are posted of pupils it will not include their name, unless express permission for the specified purpose is requested. Please note that websites can be viewed throughout the world and not just in the United Kingdom where UK law applies. In giving your consent you understand that images may be used in printed and electronic form. We never share images of pupils on social media such as Facebook.
- Sale of Photos/ Group Photos: We commission Tempest Photography school photographers to take photos of pupils which are uploaded to our student information management systems. By ticking consent, you agree to allow your child to be photographed, individually and with their class/group/team and that these photographs will be offered for sale to you (individual and group photos) and other parents (group photos only). You may be offered these photographs for purchase, but there is no obligation to buy your child’s photograph. We always obtain data sharing agreements for any such providers. For information about Tempest’s Privacy policies please visit https://www.htempest.co.uk/gdpr
Please note: We do not ask your consent for the following, however, we would like to point out our Personal Use statement.
- Personal use acceptance: We recognise the importance of recording treasured moments and memories of children during their education within our school. In many cases when photographs are taken in school capturing educational moments, they provide much pleasure to parents and extended families. We accept, on trust, that all photographs and videos are for personal use and must not be published in local media, social media, or online. Photos and videos taken purely for personal use are exempt from the GDPR. Personal use may include: a parent takes a photograph of their child and some friends taking part in the school Sports Day to be put in the family photo album: these images are for personal use and the GDPR does not apply; Grandparents are invited to the school nativity play and wish to video it: these images are for personal use and the GDPR does not apply.
Please ensure that the contact information for your child is accurate and up to date.
Parental Responsibility – Please ensure that the Parental Responsibility slider bar is set correctly. For a definition of Parental Responsibility please read the following guidelines https://www.gov.uk/parental-rights-responsibilities . This is usually the mother and father, but would not normally include grandparents, neighbours, friends or other family members.
Priority Contact – Where possible, please include one Priority 1, and one Priority 2 contact. Having multiple priority 1 contacts can be confusing and misleading in the event of an emergency, and we will always contact the next priority person if we cannot reach the first person.
Local Contacts – Where possible, the contacts should be local and accessible. A contact in Dorset or Dundee is not always best placed to help if your child is unwell.
Telephone Numbers – Please ensure you give us the contact numbers that you are most likely to have access to. Please do not give a work number if we cannot reach you on this number, or a mobile if you are never in range. Please ensure the slider bar is checked for your primary (main) contact number as we use this to reach you if your child is unwell.