Monday 4th June 2018
Dear Children and Parents,
I hope you all had a lovely break and are ready for the final half term of Year 5!
This half-term we will be focusing on our local area. The children decided that they wanted to focus on walking and this will form the basis of our geography work as we look at map work, collect and sort data and undertake fieldwork. This will link well to our on-going science work on living things as we look at local plants and creatures and, of course, continue the Great British Gardening Challenge. We will also make links to our Animalium work in literacy and stories featuring animals.
Mrs Bayly will be continuing to teach on Mondays and Tuesday afternoons and Miss Miller will be working with us until early July.
A few reminders:
• The children will need their full P.E. kit on Friday and their swimming kit on Wednesdays (we will re-instate Monday’s PE once swimming is over).
• Numeracy homework will be set on Wednesday and will be due in on the Monday of the following week.
• Literacy homework will be set on a Friday to be handed in by the following Tuesday.
• Spellings will be set and tested every Friday.
• Can I also take this opportunity to remind you that I expect the children to read for at least fifteen minutes every day; I would like to think that they were reading for longer.
Dates for the diary:
Monday 4th June – Girls’ Cricket tournament
Wednesday 6th June – Swimming session 1 (11 – 11.30 in water)
Wednesday 6th June – Dartmoor Cup Cricket
Wednesday 13th June – Swimming session 2 (10.30 – 11 in water)
Wednesday 20th June – Devon Mix
Wednesday 20th June – Swimming session 3 (10.30 – 11 in water)
Thursday 21st June – Speak Out, Stay Safe NSPCC visit
Tuesday 26th June – Sports Day
Wednesday 27th June – Swimming session 4 (10.30 – 11 in water)
Thursday 28th June – band and choir event in Okehampton
Tuesday 3rd July – Miss Miller’s last day
Thursday 5th July – Beetles lead Collective Worship 3pm
Wednesday 11th July – walk to Castle Drogo and undertaking natural art projects there (TBC)
Friday 20th July – End of year
Should you have any concerns or queries, please do not hesitate to come and speak to me.
Miss Deborah Philpott
Beetles Timetable Summer 2018 – see pdf version